Saturday, November 7, 2015

Are We Destroying our Hearing?








I LOVE singing when I am on a road trip..with the volume up on the radio and the bass set to maximum! Depending on who my passengers are, they either love it or hate it! The picture above pretty much sums up how it goes when I am on the road somewhere and it is much worse if I happen to be by myself. The car becomes my sanctuary. Now this isn't all bad. We all need that special place to sing with uninhibited abandon to the Lord. (That is what I am doing- HONESTLY). The other day I had one of my "encounters with God" while on a drive. I was alone, so it was an extra special meeting. I was long overdue. I had a lot to "unload"- it was an incredible time. When it was over and I reached my destination, my ears were ringing. It took almost an entire hour and a half for my ears to stop ringing. I already have a hearing problem, and these "musical sessions" are not making it any easier. Why do I like it loud? Because it fills every fiber of my being. I  sing from my toes up to the ceiling and all the way to heaven! ( at least that is how I imagine it) I do not have to worry about anyone critiquing me or wonder if it is "too much"? I can let loose and let God's presence fill my car. It never fails. God always speaks to me and I leave the car full of the spirit and the joy of the Lord. Why can't I do this every day? For one, it would annoy my entire family, secondly. I do not "make time" for it, and third, I get caught up in the daily routine of  life. 

Ok ok 

back to the hearing problem..

It started me thinking about how many people have difficulties with communication as they lose their hearing.The word of God says
 "He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches" Revelation 2:29 & Rev. 3:6
Jesus says: "Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear" Mark 4;9 and Matthew 11:15
These are just a few examples and there are plenty more... we are to have ears that hear. If I am spending my time damaging my ears with loud music, will I have ears to hear? What exactly does he mean? I have been pondering this since Friday. sometimes it is good to ponder a matter
Questions I have been asking:
1. Am I  losing my hearing ( I mean my spiritual hearing)?
2. Do I have ears to hear what God says or only what I want Him to say?
3.. Is His message landing on deaf ears? What would that look like? 

Lets address each question:

1. Am I losing my hearing ( I mean my spiritual hearing)?  
When I was growing up, my Mom used to say "garbage in garbage out" - I would roll my eyes in disdain. But you know, she was right. The loudness of the music does not make me lose my spiritual hearing, but what does make me lose it, is what I choose to listen to. Am I listening to songs that back up the word of God or are based on scripture or am I merely listening for a sound that stirs my emotions, and backs up "lyrically" what I a feeling at the moment? Although we do have to be in tune with our senses, Faith is not based on a "feeling".


2. Do I have ears to hear what God says or only what I want him to say? 
Look at this! Some of the effects of hearing loss ( I mean physical hearing loss) are the same effect that happen to us too! It is one way to give yourself a "check up". Do you find yourself 
  • Inattentive
  • Buzzing
  • Ringing
  • Muffled Hearing
  • Isolation
  • Frustration
  • Avoiding Conversation
  • Depression
  • Failure to respond
  • Listening to electronics at High volumes 
I have always been a believer that the natural is connected to the spiritual. This is eye opening and amazing to look at! I am not saying all of thse directly apply, but is has a major connection. If I am failing to respond to God's nudges in my life, it should be a clue that I am losing some of my spiritual hearing. If I am becoming more isolated, that also can affect my spiritual hearing, we need each other and we need to be in fellowship with other Christians. There is no such thing as a lone-ranger Christian! Or maybe you hear God, but it's "muffled" -you lose your confidence that it is even God speaking to you because the voice is so muffled. What if you are where the word of God is being preached and you just can't seem to pay attention? Could that be a sign of losing spiritual hearing? Maybe? No one wants to talk about Depression, but honestly, if you cannot hear God well, it would be a pretty depressing place to be. God is not scary, He is not mean. He is gentle and merciful and wanting all to come to him, "Draw nigh to God and he will draw nigh to you"- ( Even without the loud music- He is still there waiting for his children to LISTEN to Him)

3. Is His message landing on Deaf ears? What would that look like? 
This is pretty self- explanatory. It would look like someone living life any way they wished, with sort of " your perception is your reality" sort of philosophy-  or maybe its based on a "What they do not know will not hurt them" philosophy-- or will it? I think this philosophy has been the beginning of many people's undoing. What is our faith without hearing? Can we have some "secret pockets" of our life that we keep for ourselves and do not surrender to God? I am not so sure that is possible. Maybe your faith is more - works based and sort of a show of your knowledge? Your knowledge is not a reflection of how well you listen to God. It is just that. Knowledge. Although the word says to study to show yourself approved  the next phrase says unto God and not unto men. That is because God  is the one we are putting our faith in, not men. 

Wow, all this from a car ride with the radio up! So how do we hear God? Here are a few tips: (Oh and I still think it is ok to sing with all your heart to the Lord, as loud as you want but that is another topic) :-)

 Maybe we will discuss worship (one of my favorite topics) but for now, I am working on my hearing. (in both realms; natural and spiritual)

(This is my first spiritual line of communication:prayer) 

Thank you for Reading,


Ruth A. Hidalgo
(My family is the first natural line of communication that I will be  working on "hearing"; how about you? What is yours?) 











No comments:

Post a Comment