Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Get Real!

Recently, I went through a season where I had panic attacks. I was overboard rude to pretty much everyone. There was no excuse for it and once I behaved in this manner, there was no taking it back. No amount of apologizing  or tears could bring back my words and actions. My point in mentioning this is that it brought a serious thought to my mind as I "recollected" myself:  There are times when our "humanity" makes living very difficult! Somehow we have this idea that there is this standard of "perfection" we must "perform" by in the world in order to let our lights shine for Jesus. Even Jesus showed his "humanity" while here on earth, when he showed anger in the temple, it was righteous and good, but it was an emotion that he openly expressed. What makes us think that somehow, once we have Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we now have the ability to live a perfect life, with all the fruits of the spirit all  the time? ( Fruits of the Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, temperance, and self-control) Yes, these are evident in the life of the believer, but believers are humans too! There are times when life  is not just so "perfect".

  Why would Jesus spend so much time with the sick and the hurting when he was on earth!? When I asked this question at the table the other day, my daughter Samantha immediately replied because they needed his help the most". I would like to add something to this: not only did they need his help the most, Jesus needed them the most! Why is that, you may ask? Because His power is made perfect in weakness. It was the most  dramatic way for people to see God's  glory on the earth. Would they have even noticed the miracles  if it was a "regular" person with no obvious flaws? I am here to announce a reality check for us all! We are all hopelessly flawed and in need of a savior. Not a one of us  is without sin. That is why Jesus said. "He who is without sin, cast the first stone". No one could cast a stone! Are you hurting? Are you sick? Are you covetous? Are you greedy? Whatever flaw you struggle with- my challenge today is to try transparency! Admit TODAY that you are a  professional at the "perfection masquerade"! How does this help anyone? How do people see how God is pulling you out of the "miry pit" if no one even knows you are in one?   I will start with myself. I am far from perfect. How can others rejoice with you when you overcome? Now I am not condoning living in sinful abandon; God says he will leave you to a reprobate mind if you do that! I am also not condoning living by the works of the flesh. All I am expressing here is that "There is none righteous, no not one" in other words: Nobody's Perfect!
Today's society can easily push one into a deep slump of hopelessness - and I mean Christian society! We all need to get real! Stop acting! When we are brave enough to be honest, that is when we can find genuine support! We need each other we need transparency no just for our own sakes, but for the world's sake as well! There would be less "hating" on Christians if we could just be honest and real with each other. Putting up the "facade" makes us all look like hypocrites. I am among the weak, I will admit. I desperately need HIM (God) every hour. That is why when I found myself looking in the mirror at my own imperfections,  I immediately sought out accountability and wise counsel. Accountability is essential to real change. Have you ever experienced this before?  It is a true blessing to find someone who will admit that they have no stones to throw and just be there for you. Someone who will support you with the love of Christ no matter what.  I know I am not alone in my imperfections because I am flesh and blood; I have a heart beat and so do you. Think about it. These are serious words to ponder. Let's put down the show and be real with each other.

Hope is found in this: 

  "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it" Philippians 1:6. It does not say that it is completed- it says He will be faithful to complete it! Praise God! I love this promise from God! I am so glad for HIS faithfulness!

Honestly
Ruth A. Hidalgo


No comments:

Post a Comment